When we search “free video converter” in Google, Freemake Video Converter ranks in the 1st position currently (in Jan. 2023). Is Freemake Video Converter truly free? What are the limitations of the free video converter? Will any adware or malware be installed when I’m using this free video transcoder? What are the differences between Freemake and other video converters? The review of the free video converter, Freemake Video Converter, comes to answer your questions.
Freemake Video Converter, developed by the US company Mixbyte Inc., was first released in July, 2010. It’s a classic all-in-one video converter, with the combination of video converter, audio converter, DVD ripper, photo slideshow maker, video downloader, DVD burner and Blu-ray burner.
Video, Audio, DVD, Photo, URL
AVI, WMV, MP4, MPEG, 3GP, MKV, FLV, SWF, HTML5
Sony, Xbox, Samsung, Android, Apple, Nokia, BlackBerry
Windows 11, 10, 8, 8.1, 7, Vista
čeština, dansk, Deutsch, English, español, français, italiano, magyar, Nederlands, polski, português (Brasil), slovenčina, Tiếng Việt, Ελληνικά, русский, українська, 日本語, 中文（简体）,中文（繁体）
Is Freemake Video Converter truly free?
According to our tests, the free version of Freemake Video Converter leaves a watermark on each output video, and the video clip about this video converter is added to both the beginning and end of the output video. If you don’t want to have the logo on your output videos, you might have to pay for the Freemake Remove Branding pack.
If you try to convert a video or audio as an MP3 file, you will be prompted to upgrade to the King level by buying Freemake Mega Pack.
Free to do with the free version of Freemake Video Converter:
The free version is actually a free trial. Nothing is completely free with the free version. Each output video will be watermarked, and the beginning and the end of the output videos will be added with promotional branding clip. In addition, you are not even allowed to try some functionalities for free. When you try to Paste URL to download videos, add or edit subtitles, add custom watermark, output MP3 audios, Remove Branding, you will be led to the popup windows that ask you to buy the Mega Pack to continue using the functionalities.
In fact, there are lots of 100% free alternatives to the paid features of the video converter: to download videos or music for free, StreamFab video downloader and Internet Download Manager (IDM) are recommended; to rip DVD for free, check the list of top 11 free DVD rippers.
Photo slideshow maker
Easy video editor
Convert between 500+ video and movie formats. Convert various videos to popular formats like MP4, MKV, MOV, and transcode videos for mobile phones, tablets, game consoles and Web pages with diverse preset profiles.
Convert all kinds of music and audios to MP3 files. Up to 30 visualizations are available for making an audio visual as a video.
Rip DVD to all kinds of video formats with subtitles. Save DVD as DVD folder or ISO file.
Make a video slideshow with photos and music.
Download videos from Flickr, Nicovideo, Facebook, VK, LiveLeak and Dailymotion and convert to videos or audios as you wish.
Burn movies to DVD discs.
Burn movies to Blu-ray discs.
In addition to video converter, also acts as a video cutter, video rotator, video joiner, and video cropper.
- New formats like WebM and OGG are in the support list.
- 4K Ultra HD videos can be easily dealt with using this video converter.
- Freemake Video Converter provides a ready Web player and the embed codes for easily embedding the output Flash videos, Flash files, HTML5 media into Web pages.
- The size and font of the subtitles are customizable with this video converter.
- Output videos or audios can be directly imported to iTunes or iOS.
- Outputs of the video converter can be uploaded to YouTube automatically after the conversion.
- No malware and adware will be installed during the installation and usage of the video converter, though you may be frequently prompted to buy the premium features.
- Freely select to keep or delete black bars as you wish.
- Freemake Video Converter is not truly free.
- With the free version, each output video will be watermarked. The watermark displays through the video.
- A branding video clip will be added both the beginning and end of each video output from the free version.
- Downloading videos from YouTube is not supported.
- Many features such as video downloading and subtitle adding are not available in the free version, and you will be frequently asked to buy ltw1the premium pack.
- The output profiles are limited. Some special needs might not be met, for example, only MP3 is optional when you try to convert to audio files.
- The built-in profiles have not been duly updated. For example, in the Apple profiles, the latest output options are for iPhone 5s and iPad 3.
- The photo slideshow feature is a little simple.
- The sales and promotion ads appear almost everywhere.
- The built-in player crashes when we try to preview an easy photo slideshow.
- The online installation may fail without any reasons provided. After the failure, you will be led to the offline standalone installer.
- The video converter is only available on Windows.
- Video to GIF image conversion is not supported.